Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Path is Narrow

Jesus tells us the path to heaven is a difficult one, and He told us the truth. It is difficult to be righteous, faithful, and charitable. To be good is hard, to be bad is a path much easier to travel, but much more lonely. When we travel the wide and easy path, there may be many people around us, but we are wrapped up in our own issues, our own problems, so there is no encouragement, only despair. The wide path has many people, but little love. It has many imagined benefits, but little comfort.

The narrow path is the path home, and even though it often seems impossible to resist the temptations of this world, righteous living is a blessing to everyone. I desire the strength to conquer the evil in me, but I continue to give into this notion that my flesh is stronger than my spirit.

It is possible to follow the narrow path, but it cannot be done alone. I need the Church for encouragement and the Spirit for wisdom and self-control. And ultimately, I need Jesus, only His mercy can heal me. It is the divine mercy of my Lord that leads me to the narrow path, with a willingness to carry my cross, to lay down my life for the promise of eternal life. I cannot find the way home, alone, so I follow Jesus.

Look

Look at me, look at me
So trampled and beaten
Undeniably ugly
Look at me freakin’.

I can never be satisfied
Always, it seems too hard.
When my pain is amplified
For my life, I have little regard.

As the trials that test
I constantly fail
The same is my best
Living like Christ, I pale.

I can never reach
This perfect standard
Still I’ll preach
His death remembered

If only I could suffer
As He did for me
Living is always tougher
In this world without thee.

Even in my sin
I know it could be worse
Doing all I can
On earth, is all a curse?

Perfection is my goal
My life is the race
Everlasting life for my soul
My hope is to see God’s face.

With Christ Love,
Kristin
9/25/2001

No comments: