Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Parents Fail, But Love Endures Forever

As a parent, I know only too well the sting of regret, and living the painful consequences of my selfish choices. There is no doubt I made mistakes as a parent, and it is being a parent that has allowed me to understand and forgive my own parent's mistakes. I wrote this poem for someone close to me who was struggling with parental relationships as an adult. Even though this poem is for her, it speaks to me as well. How often have I wanted to hold onto pain and hurt and blame my parents for my condition and choices today? Way too often. I realize, as I did many years ago, that my parents are to be honored, which means, I forgive them. Because, after all, nobody's perfect!

True Oneness

Gripped by the world at a very young age
unsure of what to expect, often filled with rage.
Unable to love those who were supposed to love you
but longing for that bond that must be shared, you knew;
that other people out there have a normal life.
Why can’t you have it, too, instead of this strife?
With envy, you saw families with a love simple and strong.
All you ever really wanted was a place like this to belong.

To feel out of control of this life that you didn’t choose
is an overwhelming truth that many would like to refuse.
To be born into a family filled with anger and pride
seems senseless as you live only wanting to hide.
For God did not plan for you to be destroyed
by your parents’ human mistakes that constantly annoyed.
Holding a grudge and unforgiving of their failure to protect
only destroys your heart and soul and your life is the one wrecked.

God’s love is perfect for you and all people that you see
including your parents, for them God has eternal mercy.
Choosing to love our God, you must perfectly love as He does.
Forgiving with unending mercy, kindness and patience because
Love is not jealous or pompous or inflated.
It is not rude or forces its own interests debated.
It does not brood over injury or quick to temper.
Love rejoices in the truth and rejects the wrongs that hinder.

With God, who is Love, we can bear all things.
Even our pasts hurts that in your soul still deeply stings.
Believe in Love because Love believes in all
and the Hope in the Love of Christ will pick us up when we fall.
Enduring everything that this life does bring
can only have value when in God’s Glory we sing.
For God’s love never fails, always it will remain.
And we’ll know it completely if we choose freedom instead of pain.

Let go and forgive, letting God lead the way.
Knowing love will fill us up and the hate will fade away.
Faith, Hope, and Love are found in the Spirit, Father, and Son
Becoming perfect only in Him, true oneness, Love will be done.

With Love, Kristin
11/12/01

No comments: