Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How to Have Hope in a World of Despair

I have been in the pit, and it is dark, cold, and lonely. It is a place of utter hopelessness, sorrow, and despair. I suffer depression and anxiety. It has directly impacted my relationships with others, and with God. With others, I either drive them away or they stay and love me patiently. With God, I have drawn closer to Him.

Because of my intense physical weakness to control my sorrow and anger, I must depend on the Lord to help me overcome my dark emotions, to overcome the depression and know that His joy will return. I know what it is like to be in the hell of despair, but I also know what it is like to be in the Kingdom of hope.

I have talked with my doctor for years about my severe PMS, the depression and anger that rises in me, uncontrollable, for a week or more each month. My doctor's answer was always medication, which I tried, but always stopped taking because I often suffered the side effects. I finally decided, after years of suffering misery and often hurting those I love with my biting remarks, to depend on God for not only my spiritual healing, but my physical and mental healing, too.

For the past 3 years, I have had months go by symptom free, and I contribute this healing to my faith. I tried all the anti-depression and anti-anxiety medications, which either didn't work for me or knocked me out. From what I see on commercials, the medications don't work for 2 out of 3 people using them so they need to add another medicine, which has suicide as one of its rare side effects. Instead of adding another medicine, why not try adding more God to your life first, and be surprised by the blessings He brings.

I would like to share the steps I follow to have hope in my world of depression.
  1. Pray, pray, and pray some more. I encourage you to seek the One who brings healing, because we must find forgiveness in order to beat depression.
  2. Reconcile, with others and with yourself. But most importantly, reconcile with God . I discovered through prayer to the Trinity, Mass, and the sacrament of Reconciliation that I am worthy because I am loved. I know the love and mercy of His Son, Jesus, so I know the sorrow will end, but I also know the sorrow is necessary for my personal and spiritual growth.
  3. Embrace the tears. I cry for my children, or students, or people suffering in natural disasters. I have learned through prayer that my tears have meaning when I offer them up as a sacrifice. When I weep for others and offer my tears to the Lord, He blesses me with peace.
  4. Allow yourself to be angry at the injustice of it all. It's okay to accept the anger we feel because the world is unfair. Through prayer and scripture I am reminded that God is angry about the sin of the world, too. So, I am moved to make the world a better place by choosing to love, which means my anger must turn into a thirst and a hunger for justice, which only the Lord can fulfill. Be angry about injustice, but remember to reconcile that anger before going to bed by putting your trust in God.
  5. Accept your negative emotions and let the Lord make them good. In our weaknesses, the Lord is strong. By accepting and loving the part of me that is dark, and the parts of me I don't like, I am blessed. Jesus shows me the beauty of my tears when I give them to Him. The Father is pleased with my anger of the injustice of poverty and death. And the Spirit gives me courage to overcome my fears which builds in me the virtues of goodness.
  6. Follow these five steps to help you find hope in a world of despair. It is what I depend on for healing, and slowly but surely, my depression is disappearing. I hope and pray my suggestions touch your heart, and help you make the decision to be a victor over the darkness by following the Light. His name is Jesus. May God Bless You!

No comments: