Thursday, January 1, 2009

One With You

Is there any such thing as true love? Did I truly marry my soul mate, the one person God created just for me? I believe true love is true when I daily make the choice to love my husband no matter what happens (and he makes the choice to love me no matter what happens). No matter what people think or say about our marriage. No matter if my husband is sometimes annoying, or insensitive, or thoughtless, which I can be, also. No matter if routine settles in so intensely that everyone in the household feels like their going to lose their minds unless something changes. No matter what, I choose to love my husband. But like all marriages, there are down times in our journey of life together. There are times when we would like to give up, but we know the truth, we are connected in such an intimate union that giving up would be like destroying a part of ourselves. In a time when more than fifty percent of all marriages end in divorce, My husband and I have made a very conscious decision to never consider divorce as a solution to our problems. All things are forgivable because we are like one flesh, one body. When we forgive one another, we forgive ourselves. I wrote this poem during a desert time in my marriage. Sometimes, I think that giving up would be the better choice. The truth gives me hope: true love does exist when the two decide to love honestly. Today, I choose to Love!


One With You

It would be like losing a part of me;

to not walk, to not hear,

to not touch you with my fingertips.

Like falling down a steep cliff;

searching, reaching, grasping

for a hand to save me,

your hand to save me.

It would be like walking into a crowded room

and seeing you there,

but I could not talk with you,

or laugh with you,

or have your strong arms hold me.

It would mean being less than I am today

if ever I were to leave,

for I would lose a part of me.


K. A. Ball

May 2, 2000

No comments: