Monday, August 4, 2008

We Are All Teachers

We teach one another and we learn from one another. Even though teaching is the career I chose which helps support my family, I know to teach is something we all do. Parents teach their children how to walk, talk, and especially, how to love. Parents teach their children about life and how to manage in this world of difficulties and challenges. Siblings teach one another how to play games, make a craft, or get along in school. Friends teach each other how to have fun, let go of worry, and depend on one another. Children teach adults and adults teach children. We spend everyday of our life on earth teaching and learning. I often tell my students that as soon as they stop learning, they stop living. I believe this to be true because growth in heart, mind, body, and soul are essential to life. When we stop growing, we shrivel up and die.

As a teacher, I have summers off. But my summers are not lazy days. Not only do I recreate mind, body, and spirit for another school year of intense curriculum, and meeting the needs of every one of my students, I also take classes to learn, to become better, to grow. I took two amazing classes this summer, stuffed with tons of information I couldn't even begin to fit into my tiny brain, but I learned a wealth of knowledge. I learned how to strive to be a better teacher, a better mom, wife, sister, daughter, and friend. I wrote this poem after taking my first class in June. It's a poem for teachers, but one I think will benefit us all, because the truth is, we are all teachers.

Free From Mediocrity
By Kristin Ball

Good, Better, Best
Circle the one you choose
What kind of teacher are you?

If you choose Good that’s okay
There’s nothing wrong
With teaching the right way.
Being a Good teacher
You’re doing everything you’re asked
The students learn
and you complete the tasks.

Maybe though, you can hope to be
More than Good, it’s better you see
Wanting more for your students
Is possible when
You know you’re better
Than just being good, and then
You learn and grow everyday,
Becoming a Better teacher in every way.

Growing better leads to the Best
Making you a Great teacher
You rise above the rest.

To be the Best
You reach far and wide,
To not only teach so students learn
But to inspire, guide
and spark fires that burn.
Becoming red hot flames
They are beacons of Light,
You’re impacting your students
To stand up for what’s right.
For love and justice
Everyone finds
You are a Teacher
Freeing young minds.

No comments: