Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's So Easy to Mess Up

Life is good, there is no doubt in my mind of this truth. Yet, so often I feel manipulated and bullied by people in my life. Sometimes it happens in my own family, other times it may be friends or colleagues. Whatever the situation, I know I always fall short of loving like Jesus.

I try everyday to love, to be patient, kind, and unselfish. But it is hard when it seems like others do or say things to intentionally harm another person. It's difficult to be involved in the games people play, which always includes the practices of deception and control. I sometimes wonder why we can't just love each other. What is our problem anyway?

Faithfully God opens my eyes, and shows my sin mirrored in the sin of others. I admit my rebel heart is often selfish and I'm constantly seeking forgiveness from my Father everyday. In turn, he teaches me to forgive as well. I've learned my forgiveness for the hurts people have caused me is forgiveness for myself. I've also learned that forgiveness does not mean accepting abuse. Jesus did not take the bullying from the people of power, and he showed us how to respond to those who continually choose to abuse with their words or actions, always respond with the truth. Finally, I've discovered that those who live by deceiving and controlling other people don't like the truth, yet the Truth is the only way to life.

The truth is I am a sinner. I hurt others, myself, and God with choices I make, yet in the midst of all my faults and failures, one thing always remains, the Truth. In the midst of all the darkness in the world, the light shines and life is good.

Midst of My Sin
By Kristin Ball

Even in the midst of my sin,
I can’t forget Him. The evil won’t win.
Because He loves me, regardless of it all
and shows me that I can stand, whenever I fall.

I am not perfect and that is why,
the Light of the world can make me fly.
I am nothing without my Father’s Son.
It is His perfection that makes us one.

So even though I mess up everyday
and I’m humanly unworthy to show others His way,
I can’t stop thinking of Him and sharing His love
yet others will reject me when push comes to shove.

There’s a freedom and peace in letting go
of all the greed and anger and selfishness I know.
I hate my sin and desire an ending cure,
but it’s dying to myself that makes me pure.

I’m the first to admit that I am a sinner,
but with the sacrifice of Christ, I am a winner.
Regardless of what we may believe or say,
it’s the blood of our Lord that cleanses each day.


No comments: