Saturday, November 28, 2009

Give Thanks

I have discovered, slowly but surely, the way to peace, love, and hope, is to be thankful for everything. To be thankful for the curses as well as the blessings. To be thankful for the hard times, sad times, lonely times, and mad times. It is during the dark times when I seek God the most, so for all I am given, and all that I lose, I am thankful.

The following poem I wrote for my 8th grade graduating class of 2002, which was an especially challenging and spirited group of students. Because I wanted to love my students, regardless of their behavior, I prayed for them, and I thanked God, everyday, for their questions, complaining, and unmanageable laughter. They were a challenge and a blessing, and a class who helped me grow as a teacher and a christian disciple. Without my sufferings, I can not grow in my love for God and others, so in all my trials and tribulations, I give thanks.


Only God Can Fashion

It’s sitting in the quiet of the room
that finally makes me smile.
As the echo of all your voices loom
in my memory, for just awhile.

In the moment, it’s overwhelming at times
but the chaos, I thank God for.
Because if it weren’t for a class that chimes,
I would wonder why, and more…
I would miss the thoughts that freely fly
from the mouths of each unique mind.
To hear your laughter, no reason why,
shows how each one is trying to find…

Your reason for school and the time spent here,
sometimes it may seem like such a waste
to fit in, you seek, to be cast out, you fear,
revealing who you are is to lose your soul in haste.
For if all knew your heart and the weakness that dwells within,
then there may be a sea of rude rejection.
So it’s best to pretend and live in the sin
for a while, there’s freedom with worldly perception.

The perception of the world will only last for so long,
living the kind of life that society says to live.
They say to live for you, and this can’t be wrong,
When to only a select few, nature’s abundance does give.
It’s survival of the fittest, science does proclaim,
As we watch each person fighting to belong.
Many are searching for power and fame
In a world that glorifies the strong.

“The meek shall inherit the earth,” the Bible says.
True words from the heart of our Lord.
In your weakness you’re strong, and God will bless
your humble footsteps, in Christ, move toward.
Move toward the sacrifice of first thinking of others.
Always choose to do our best for God’s creation.
Pray to end the hate that kills our sisters and brothers,
Live the life of forgiveness that only God can fashion.

Love in Christ,

Kristin A
May 14, 2002

No comments: