Saturday, February 7, 2009

No Matter What, We're Forgiven

It's our human weakness that allows us to quickly and easily hold grudges against people in our lives. It's sad how unwilling we are to forgive and forget. Instead, we want to hold others accountable for wrongs committed but do not hold ourselves accountable for the wrongs we inflict on others.

I discovered some years ago that by allowing my self-righteous attitude to dominate my life, I was unable to know the forgiveness of my Lord. God revealed a truth that I always knew but struggled to live. He told me I must forgive everyone who has hurt me in order to forgive myself and to know the forgiveness, mercy, and grace of Jesus Christ. How can I ever know the freedom of true forgiveness if I don't practice the mercy God has so generously shown me?

I wrote the following lyrics as I struggled with another broken relationship in my life. Blaming of self and others was destroying my spirit, and becoming an obsessive distraction in my mind. I searched for forgiveness from God, and He revealed the necessity of first forgiving those who have hurt me. That forgiveness was hard to do and only through the power of the Spirit was I able to let go and let God fill me with His mercy.

He removed from me all the unforgiving anger I had built up and held defiantly in the depths of my heart. He freed me from the pain of my own bitterness and showed me the way to true love and mercy. In letting go of all the grudges I was so stubbornly holding on to, I found freedom from my own sins and have humbly accepted the consequences of my hurtful choices. That may mean broken relationships which may never heal while I am here on earth. But with Jesus, I can live with hope for the future and freedom from my past. Today is the day the Lord gives me to live, so today, my only choice is to love and forgive.



No Matter What

Lyric by Kristin Ball



Verse

Now matter what happens

With the people I love

No matter if they leave

Or hold a deep grudge

No matter what I feel

No matter what I do

I can come to You.



Chorus
You love me even when

My relationships I can't mend

You hold me close

Love me true

What an awesome love

I've found in You



Verse

No matter what worry

I have for today

No matter what words

I carelessly say

No matter what I think

No matter what I believe

In You I find peace



Bridge

No matter what the future holds

I will love You, heart and soul

No matter what seems okay

Your loving grace

Lights the Way

Jesus, You're the Way!

No comments: